Pride and Joy

We have been given a task of designing a 3D model of looking into an interior through half opened doors. There should be a vehicle going under repair, be it wheeled, airborne or waterborne, with a per waiting for the owner.

The very first thing that I wanted to do, was to design an interior of a cave which has a wooden bridge coming out of it out to the sea where there would be a raft next to the bridge. Wit ha pet cat sat on the edge of the bridge staring off into the distance. The cat is waiting for the owner to come back and fix the raft so that they can escape from the island.

After that, I did think more about the brief and didn’t think that a raft was a good enough of a vehicle to be used for this project, so I wanted to create a wrecked boat which would be placed next to a bridge, out in the open on the beach, which would be surrounded by planks of wood, bushes, barrels, glass bottles, basically things that you may find on a beach.

The way I wanted to approach this task was to model each individual piece one by one, and then just place it all in the same scene. I wanted to limit myself to 512 polygons or lower, per object.

I first started off with designing the planks of wood, I didn’t think much of texturing at this point as I wanted to first create everything that I needed to, render the scene out, and then texture the whole scene if I had time. I have made some simple planks of wood, some of them I have decided to use for creating the bridge and the raft.

Next I have designed some stones which would be placed somewhere in the scene. At this point, I have looked back at the brief and noticed that my scene hasn’t got an opening where a viewer can look through to see the vehicle. So I thought that if I place the stones in front of the camera, just enough so that when I render the scenes I could get that effect as if the viewer is looking at the vehicle through someone else’s eyes.


At this point, I have realised that the most common waterborne vehicle is a boat or a ship of some sort. I didn’t want to make something that is obvious so I decided to go back to my original plan of making a raft. I did find this process quite interesting, I realised that in order to make something look believable, I would have to know how to make the thing in the first place. I then looked online for a guide on how to create a real-life raft. I have used the wiki-how and followed the steps and made a raft. I have then made it look more damaged by taking few polygons out of few logs and adjusting the angle they were positioned at.

Raft Finished

I have consulted with my tutor, and I was advised to try and make it look even more home-made. By now I have decided that the owner of the raft would be a child aged 6-7. I have then modelled in 4 big empty water bottles, which would be used as a floating device, and also a mast which was connected to a stick that would be used to steer the raft out on the waters. Because I still didn’t give any hints of who the owner of the raft was at this point. I decided to quickly doodle up a drawing that a child would do and include it in the model.

P n J Kid Drawing

This is the drawing that can be seen on the mast of my model of the raft.

Scene Render

This was my first render of the scene. I had a problem with making the sea and the sand. Because I did want it all to be grey, my sea and sand just looked like a flat plane with few polygons raised in order to create that sea effect. I did like it at first, but the grains on the sand are far too big and pixelated, and you can also see a seam of where 2 planes with different textures meet. The textures I have used were found on the internet which didn’t help either due to the quality of the images.

Crab Render

I decided to change my idea again, and swapped the cat for a crab. I just wanted something different, than an ordinary cat. Plus I didn’t know how to actually make a good model of a cat in 3DS Max and the last time I have used Sculptris and imported a model into 3DS Max, it messed a lot of the polygons up. Although right now I think that it is worth giving it another shot.

Scene Greyblock Outside Final

This was my final render. I was happy with it, until I looked back at the brief again and realised that I’ve completely missed the “looking through a door” part of it. I have fixed the problem I had with the sand and the sea. I have used the soft selection tool on the sea to get the wave effect.

Scene Greyblock Hole Final

So I experimented with a different camera angle. This is a view through a hole in a wooden fence. This view gives the viewer the feeling as if you’re looking through someone else’s eyes.

Scene Greyblock Cave Final

My very final render, that I am most happy with is a view from within the cave, just like I wanted to make from the very beginning. Although instead of the cat, I have used a crab. The things that I could definitely improve on, in this scene, would be to make the inside of the cave, look more like a den that a child has decorated himself. In my opinion this would improve the narrative of the story. I would do so by adding drawings to the inside of the cave, maybe a hand-drawn treasure map, a lunchbox, some crayons scattered about.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s